Book Review: The Maze Runner

Aug 24, 2010


Alright, folks! Everyone know what today is, right? Mockingjay release! And I'm as excited as anybody.

It is also the release of the paperback version of The Maze Runner by James Dashner. In honor of this, and in preparation for the review I'll be doing of the sequel, I'm doing my first book review today.

I've got to admit, I've shied away from book reviews simply because I don't know if anyone really cares what my opinion is on a book. But let's assume you do!

Here's the book jacket description:

"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind."

The book starts out strong, with an enticing hook-- Thomas in a box, not remembering who he is. The introduction to the Maze is also intriguing. Things slow down a bit for a while as Thomas presses his new companions for information about the Maze. They pick right back up, though, and the precarious situation in the Maze grows more dangerous by the day. The middle to the end is particularly driving, and the end itself was satisfying-- and creepy.

The characters were interesting, and I found myself both liking Thomas and finding him annoying at points (much like some of his new friends). It wasn't annoying like, "ugh, I'm annoyed with the way this character is written," it was annoying like, "this kid just needs to shut up a minute." In other words, he was characterized well, with realistic flaws that could also double as strengths.

Overall, I enjoyed The Maze Runner as an interesting and driving post-apocalyptic novel with a unique setting. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the genre.

And, just so you know, The Scorch Trials is (in my humble opinion) SO MUCH BETTER. It's being released October 12, so look out for my review coming soon!

2 comments:

Emily White said...

Another one to add to the list! Great review!

Julie Musil said...

I've heard of this book, but haven't read it yet. Also, I've read Hunger Games already but not Chasing Fire. I need to read that before Mockingjay. Oh the reading I want to do!

 
Shallee McArthur © 2013 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions