Celebrating the Awesome in Our Own Writing-- and Life

Jul 5, 2012

Sometimes, especially as a writer, I focus on...well, maybe not the bad, but on the things that need fixing. You know, I get a critique, and hurrah! So many things I can make better! (Of course, before the "hurrah-ing" comes the "aw-crap-I-should-have-known" and the occasional *wallow*-I-suck-*wallow.*)

But sometimes, things are just good. And I think we should take time to hurrah for the good! Because even though we all have things we can improve in our books and in our writing as a whole, there are things we've done pretty darn well with, too. In fact, there may even be a crap-load of awesome in our writing that we're overlooking because we're so focused on the fact that it's NOT YET PERFECT, MUST MAKE IT PERFECT.

So, my friends, take a little time today to look at your writing and find the awesome. And remember that you have a whole life outside of writing that has nuggets of awesome, too. Celebrate the awesome, folks!

Here's a bit of awesome from me. :) For all you fellow Americans, I hope you had a wonderful Independence Day, and for all you non-Americans, I hope your July 4th was a great day too!

The Kiddo and The Hubby enjoying the fireworks

15 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

I couldn't agree more. You'll never improve if you don't recognize your strengths and use them to your advantage :)

MKHutchins said...

When I critique, I do try to include the things that are great, too -- because editing out something amazing is just as sad as leaving something sub-par in.

Cheyanne said...

SO true! Every time I'm feeling down about my WIP, I'll go back and read it and find little things that make me smile and remind myself that I don't totally suck!

DL Hammons said...

I make it a point to ask my critique partners to highlight the "awesome" parts as well as the trouble spots. Helps make for a balanced critique! :)

Anonymous said...

It's true! If you don't believe in your awesomeness, no one else will. ;)

Leigh Covington said...

Aww! It was a wonderful Independence Day. Loved it. And love your photo.

This post is great. We REALLY do need to remember to count our blessing from time to time and remember the things we're doing RIGHT!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yes!! So true! We DO need to hurrah more for our work.

Shelly said...

You are sooo right.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I wait for the feedback from my crit partners. have a good weekend.

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Shallee, congratulations, I’m nominating you to receive the Versatile Blogger Award(check out my new blog post) – please ignore if you’ve received it before.

Anonymous said...

SO true! Why do we always focus on the bad? I saw you on a "Follow Friday" blog. Glad I found you!

Rachel Frost said...

True. It's easy to forget those little moments of pure genius mixed in with the rest of the story. I have found that the longer I let something sit, the more I can enjoy the good things I've done--especially when I find I've used some literary technique and didn't realize it at the time.

Deana said...

So true! Us writers do tend to over-analyze. Thanks for the reminder that we do have so much to be grateful for...and not just in our writing:)

Akoss said...

It's very hard for me to find the awesome in my writing, but I'm trying. I will keep trying until I can.

Sherry Ellis said...

Looks like you had fun on the fourth!

 
Shallee McArthur © 2013 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions